Customize tentacle configuration

I installed a tentacle in a machine, how can i change the following behaviour (I am using 2.8 version)

1. change the default install folder where all the package are store before the copy to the final application folder
  2. I noticed, if I use the feature “Custom install directory” and I use a variable which I did not give a value, octopus deploy my package in c:\windows\system32. I dont really like octopus use this directory, it sound unsafe.

thanks for your help
sebastien

Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for getting in touch! You can define the package install directory using tentacle.exe:
C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle>tentacle.exe configure --app=<path>
Just to confirm though, this is just the base path where Octopus will install to, it will still create directories based on environments and versions

As for the second, you should always make sure your variables when scoped have an unscoped value for situations like you found.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Hello
thank you, I didnot know this part. I used --appdir instead of --app that did not work.

I agree I need to make sure the variable is well setup but mistakes can happen, at least can I change the “default” folder from c:\windows\System32 to something else ?

thanks
sebastien

Hi Sebastien,

Sorry, --app and --appdir are the same. But you have to stop the service first, then run the command then start it so:

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle>tentacle.exe service --stop
C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle>tentacle.exe configure --app=<path>
C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle>tentacle.exe service --start

Vanessa