Custom Step Template Hides Repeating Values Field

I would like to make a custom step template out of the “Upgrade Helm Chart” step. (Pre-setting many of the values that my company will use.)

So far it seems to go well except that when I actually use the final Custom Step Template, most of the fields are hidden. (My guess is that this is happening because the Octopus expects me to expose parameters for anything that I want customizable in the final template.)

This works ok for many of the types of inputs. But the “Upgrade Helm Chart” step has a control to add values to the values.yaml file called Explicit Key Values:

This control is a repeating control. When I use it in a project, I can keep adding as many values as I need. However it is not possible for me to anticipate all the values the users of the control would need in my Custom Step Template.

I could add a bunch of parameters like Key1, Value1, Key2, Value2, Key3, Value3 etc. But that is ugly and ultimately may not be enough.

I could also force them to enter an entire values.yaml file, but that requires that they override the entire file included in the chart. Also not ideal.

Is there a way to say to the step template, go ahead and let the final user of the Custom Step Template set the Explicit Key Values section?

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for getting in touch, and for the fantastic question. I’m sorry to say, though, that I can’t think of any other solution using custom step templates that would be more ideal. Any details of a custom step template that needs to be set at the project level, like these explicit key values, could only be done with parameters. But it’s easy to see that would become ugly and unmanageable in this case.

I’m wondering if instead the Clone Step feature would be helpful here? You could create a step with all of the common values supplied as a normal step in a project, then clone that into each project requiring it and fill out the project-specific details in each. The possible big downside though is any update to the common details would have to be changed in each one by one…

I hope that helps in some way. I’d be interested to hear what you think or if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.