Custom Install Directory From Variable

Hi, I am trying to setup a Custom Install Directory for my custom package where I want to use an output configuration variable set in one of my previous steps.
I am trying to set the path to the below string:

Octopus.Action[Deploy Web Service to IIS].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath + "/bin"

I am getting errors when trying to deploy this package saying that it is a relative path.

Can anyone help me?

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for getting in touch! I can certainly try to help you out with this. :slight_smile:

Are you setting the value of your Custom Install Directory field to the string exactly as shown in your message? If so, I suspect that you’re hitting this error since the output variable doesn’t have the substitution syntax (i.e. #{Var}) around it. I gave this a quick test, and the following syntax worked to set the correct directory:

#{Octopus.Action[Deploy Web Service to IIS].Output.Package.InstallationDirectoryPath}\bin

Does this value give you the expected result? Let me know if I’m misinterpreting what you’re after. Feel free to also attach your verbose deployment logs with debugging variables enabled if required. That should shed more light on what’s going on here. The following doc page outlines how you can produce and export this log.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hey Kenny

Thanks for very fast reply - great to see such a nice support.

That was exactly the reason! Now everything works as expected :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Nicolai

Hi Nicolai,

That’s great to hear that helped get you up and running! I appreciate the very kind words, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.