Credentials not being sent with emails

We have been having some internal problems with emails that we have been trying to resolve. These issues look like networking issues however when trying to track down the issue we noticed that Octopus Deploy was not authenticating the email steps with the global smtp step templates. I just wanted to make sure that wasn’t currently possible. We have a mix of step templates that are email steps and just regular email steps.

Hi Brent,

Thanks for reporting this. It should work. Step templates can be email steps, and they should send fine.
Are you finding that isn’t working when the step template is combined with regular email steps or even if its the only email step in a process?
Are you able to export one of the step templates so we can try to replicate?

Did it ever work? Which version are you currently running?
We did have an issue back in 2.x which was resolved late into 2.6 where the first email send wasn’t closing the connection so any subsequent step would not send.

Once I can replicate I’ll make it a ticket.
Vanessa

We are getting infromation from our email team saying that emails are being send from octopus deploy that are not authenticated. This means that emails are failing. Most of our emails are being send through step templates so this would be a logical place to look. The main issue is we have internal email lists that can not be sent to unless the request is authenticated. This means we see errors from the lists on each send and the response does not go through. We are currently on 3.1.5 of octopus deploy on windows 2008 r2

Hi Brent,

I’ll ask again: Are you able to export one of the step templates so we can try to replicate?

Vanessa

Here is the exported template

{
  "Id": "ActionTemplates-1",
  "Name": "Email - Start",
  "Description": "A generic that occurs before a build starts",
  "ActionType": "Octopus.Email",
  "Version": 2,
  "Properties": {
    "Octopus.Action.Email.To": "#{Recipients}",
    "Octopus.Action.Email.Subject": "START: #{Octopus.Project.Name} to #{Octopus.Environment.Name}",
    "Octopus.Action.Email.Body": "Deployment Beginning\n\nProject: #{Octopus.Project.Name}\nRelease #: #{Octopus.Release.Number}\nStarted By: #{Octopus.Deployment.CreatedBy.Username}\nEnvironment: #{Octopus.Environment.Name}\n#{if Octopus.Release.Notes}Release Notes:#{/if}\n#{Octopus.Release.Notes}\n\nDeployment Information\n#{Octopus.Server.BaseUrl}#{Octopus.Web.DeploymentLink}"
  },
  "SensitiveProperties": {},
  "Parameters": [
    {
      "Name": "Recipients",
      "Label": "Recipients of the email",
      "HelpText": "A comma separated list of who this email should go too.",
      "DefaultValue": "#{BuildSettings.Emails}",
      "DisplaySettings": {}
    }
  ],
  "$Meta": {
    "ExportedAt": "2015-12-08T04:23:39.391Z",
    "OctopusVersion": "3.1.5",
    "Type": "ActionTemplate"
  }
}

Hi Brent,

I’ve had it checked, and Step Templates use the Octopus Settings under configuration (no different from a regular email step).
So if you could check the SMTP settings and send us a screenshot if it looks fine?

Vanessa