Create Release wont get the latest pkg Version, by default fetches the Old version

Hey,
I am facing issue where the create release is just picking the same version(20170518.4) even thought there are new build versions. The whole build is working fine excepts fails looking for the old pkg which dosent exist(Could not find file 'C:<location>\app.20170518.4.nupkg). The create release tab has the same version listed as “Latest” which its looking for and failing even though the recent version available as shown in below picture.
Regards,
Pra

Hi Pra,

Thanks for getting in touch! My first thought is regarding your channel’s version rules. If your package version doesn’t match the version rules, it won’t select this package when creating your release in that channel. Can you attach a screenshot of the version rules for this channel you’re creating this release in? It’s located in your web portal under [Project Name] > Channels > [Channel Name] tab, and outlined in the following doc page.
https://octopus.com/docs/key-concepts/projects/channels#Channels-versionrules

I look forward to hearing back!

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hey Kenneth,
Sorry for the late reply, I was out for few days.
We dont have any Channel version rules(screenshot attached), that’s the reason I was wondering where its picking up this folder from. the only time its picking the correct build is when I create a release and search and specify the package from the previous releases. I am attaching the log from vsts build step which would explain more on what I am referring to. Is there a way I clean the feed or flush all the existing builds so that the create release dosent show the ‘20170518.4’ package as the latest file instead get the latest build?
Thanks for the help!
Regards,
Pra

BuildLog.docx (15 KB)

Attaching the channel screenshot which I forgot to attach in my previous comment

Hi Pra,

Thanks for following up and providing that information! You’re correct that it’s not due to version rules. It looks like your most recent version (2.0.180-Application-Channel) isn’t being selected when you create a new release because your previous package version is higher (20170518.4) and being read as the latest.

If you’re using the built-in package repository, packages can be deleted using the API, manually in the web portal (Library > Packages), or you could configure retention policies to automatically delete packages once they reach a certain age.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Kenny,
We already have the retention policy in place which would delete packages older than 5 days, but the package ‘20170518.4’ is build on May18th. I’ve tried moving(on octopus tentacle) ‘20170518.4’ pkg out of C:\Octopus\Files and ran the build again which failed looking for the same package(attaching the log). The build is creating a new package so everything looks good from vsts side and issue starts only when the task of acquiring artifacts in release initiates. It starts looking for the same old 20170518.4 pkg, if its present its ignoring new build and copying the old package if its not there build fails with “cant find” exception. Any pointers on how I can overwrite to get the latest version when creating the release would really help.
Really appreciate your help!
Regards,
Pra

BuildFailedLog.docx (16 KB)

Kenny,
I was able to find and delete the package in the Libraries > packages . After deletion everything worked fine. Thanks a lot for the help and information provided. However the retention policy was never able to clear that old package!
Regards,
Pra

Hi Pra,

Could you send through the raw task log of a Apply retention policies task that ran before you deleted the package manually? This should hopefully shed some light on why the package in question wasn’t being deleted automatically.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik