Create Release shows step that does not involve package after updating step template for that step

Hi there,

I just noticed some strange behaviour when creating a release showing the available packages, but also some of the Process steps not involving a package.

Steps to reproduce

The SQL - Deploy DACPAC Community Library Step Template had just been updated from version 6 to 7.
In the Step Templates > SQL - Deploy DACPAC > Usage tab I clicked the orange Update button for the step that I wanted to update.

Then I opened the corresponding project and clicked the Create Release button.
Now the SQL - Deploy DACPAC step is wrongly displayed as being a step for which a package version needs to be selected.

Workaround

To fix the problem, open up any of the steps of the process, and without changing anything, click Save.

Create a release again and the step was no longer displayed in the ‘packages list’.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Hi Emiel,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry you’re hitting this unexpected issue. Though it’s great to hear you have a workaround for the time being (thanks for letting us know what has worked for you as well).

I haven’t been able to reproduce this behavior in my local instance running 3.16.0, however. Which version of Octopus are you currently running?
Does your workaround fix this issue permanently, or do you have to do this each time you want to create a new release?

I look forward to hearing back!

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for your quick response!

I have seen the the behaviour in our current version of Octopus Deploy (3.15.8) but also in 3.15.2.

The workaround fixes the problem permanently for that specific project.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Hi Emiel,

That’s great to hear your workaround fixed the problem for the project permanently! Unfortunately, though, I haven’t yet been able to reproduce this behavior when running 3.15.8. If you’re currently still hitting this issue, could I confirm some additional details?
Does this issue occur in multiple browsers?
Have you noticed any steps causing this issue, other than SQL - Deploy DACPAC?

I look forward to hearing back!

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Internet Explorer 11.1480 gave showed the same faulty behaviour so it seems it’s not browser related.

Updating the step template HTTP - Test Url (from the Community Library) showed the same behaviour. This template had some default parameter settings that needed to be confirmed, but after confirmation Create Release functionality was malfunctioning again.

Updating the step template Slack - Notify Deployment (also from the Community Library) gave no problems… I also tried the Update All functionality and also that worked fine.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Hi Emiel,

Thanks for following up. I’m terribly sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I’ve attempted and failed to reproduce this on a couple instances, using version 6 of the SQL - Deploy DACPAC community step template, updating (both individually per project and Update all) and creating new releases for the projects that use it. It hasn’t prompted me to select a package for this step, so I’m a bit stumped why you’re hitting this annoying behavior.

Would you be willing to provide a screen capture and a recording of your network traffic as you reproduce this? The following doc page shows how you can capture this information.
https://octopus.com/docs/how-to/record-a-problem-with-your-browser

If you’re able to gather this info, could you upload it to the following secure and private link? (only us here at Octopus will have access to it).
https://file.ac/XCWOhjEeUQs/

I’m very sorry again about this annoying issue and the time it’s taking to figure it out. I’m glad you have a workaround for the time being, though it does sound quite tedious and inconvenient.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

It’s been a while since I last ran into this problem.

I just tried to reproduce it but whatever I try, it just works correctly.

Either it is fixed now (at leat in version 3.17.0) or there’s something specific about this particular SQL - Deploy DACPAC Step Template we’re using.

Since that is a community library template, I cannot bump its version so I can have it updated in my process step, so I needed to make a copy, let’s call that SQL - Deploy DACPAC BUGTEST.

I created a new project, adding that new step. Then save the step (even without a change it will bump its version) and click the orange Update button.

Click Create Release in the newly created project. No problem.

I added a *Deploy a package step (just like in our real-life project) since the Deploy DACPAC step refers to another process step that downloads the package. Create release again. No problem!

Finally I added the cloned Step Template to our project and tried it with that. Again, everything works as expected.

So, for now I’d say the problem is gone…
Maybe, if and when the time comes that the Community Library version of the template changes and I update that, the problem will reintroduce itself. We’ll see.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Hi Emiel,

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I’ve been on holiday. Thank you kindly for taking the time to let us know this has resolved it. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny