Create release - latest pre-release not being selected correctly

We’re using Octopus v2018.9.4

We recently had a need have the same package deployed multiple times, which is the 1st and 2nd lines in the following image:

The third line is a separate package.

Creating release is choosing from the alpha release for the second package and the third package (expected), the first line is choosing the production release.

We can override the behavior if we are doing a release from the Octopus Deploy UI

However, this is part of an automated pipeline, so that’s not useful.

We’ve done something like 500 releases with packages on lines 2 and 3 working with the pre-release tag/channel working perfectly! The change here is the new step (which was copied from the working 2nd step, and only some powershell and step name were changed)

Why would Octopus Deploy not auto-choose the same release for the same package? What can I do to get this working?

Note: the package being deployed multiple times is a command line utility that uses different parameters at different steps.

Hi Mac,

Thanks for getting in touch! If the automatic release creation is not selecting the correct package, there could be an issue with the Channel. You mention the step which is obtaining the incorrect package version was cloned from one of the working steps. When you clone a step, which has an associated Channel version rule, the Channel will not update to take into account the new step. From your description, it sounds like this could be the cause.

Would you be able to confirm that the newly cloned step, which has this issue, has been added to the version rule inside the Channel?

Looking forward to hearing from you. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel,

Great call! I had honestly forgotten about that piece of the puzzle :frowning:

Would it make sense to let the user know what things aren’t cloned?

Thanks,
//mac

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear this was the case. It would surely help to have something noted here, however the step clone is a really simple feature. The Channel is not technically connected to the steps in a way that this would work.

I can run it past the team regardless. Perhaps we could make some kind of help text change here to make it more obvious somehow.

Please feel free to get in touch at any time. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.