Copy/clone process step between projects

Hi

Is there a simple way to copy or clone a process step from one project into another project?

Thanks
/Freddy

Hi Freddy,

The easiest way would be to create a step template out of it. This way the step will be available to be added on all the projects.

If you want to, lets say copy a Deploy step with all its configuration, I’m afraid the only way would be doing some hard Octopus Client API deepdive which we don’t have documented yet.

Thanks

Dalmiro

Hi

I solved it by creating a small desktop application that uses the Octopus rest API.
(even supports copying the same step to multiple projects)

Would be nice to have the option in the web portal though. Perhaps modelled after the project clone functionality.

Cheers
-Freddy

Hi Freddy,

Glad you were able to sort it out! Perhaps you’d like to share the code on github and make it public so the community can work on it as well?

We have a uservoice ticket for this same request. I’ve added your post to it to give it more strenght. Please if if you’d like to see this on future releases :slight_smile:

Thanks

Dalmiro

Was this code ever shared on github? I’m trying to write a similar application and have run into a few roadblocks.

Hi

No, the code was never shared on GitHub. It is not in a “sharing” state, yet. I can however mail the source with an “as-is” disclaimer and some directions if you like.
/Freddy

Fra: Matt Olson [mailto:tender2+d92b4a2008@tenderapp.com]
Sendt: 25 February 2015 15:35
Til: Freddy Mello
Emne: Re: Copy/clone process step between projects [Questions #3929]

Hi Freddy,
I am working on something similar and wondering if you share the code that was developed?

I have got about 10 new process steps and 60 projects. It would be too much time consuming to write the same steps across all 60 projects. Need some interim solution urgently!

Any help is appreciated.

Rgds,
Suresh

Hi Suresh (and Mat)

It is an WPF desktop app.I’ve attached the code “as-is”.
Fill in your needed data in MainViewModel.cs.
I advice you to back up Octopus or run against a test project first.

Good luck
/Freddy

OctopusManager.zip (20 KB)

Awesome, thanks for the code!

Excellent. Thanks Freddy. Will try this out

Hi Freddy,
Have got a question. I have few new child process steps against my
database, web and services components. I somehow can’t copy them. Does the
code support that capability? I can however copy parent level process
steps.

At the moment, I get this error "It always returns status code that does
not indicate success:400 (Bad Request).

Am i missing something?

Regards,
Suresh

Hi.
Not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish, but if you are trying to merge new child steps from from one project to another that is not supported. Then you got to first manually delete the process on the target first.
/Freddy

Fra: Suresh Akkapeddi [mailto:tender2+d92b4a2008@tenderapp.com]
Sendt: 23 April 2015 01:58
Til: Freddy Mello
Emne: Re: Copy/clone process step between projects [Questions #3929]