Configuration in config files, registry, ... => cleanup

Version: 3.latest @ 2017/01/06

I have the following combination of settings on a Tentacle:
Registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Octopus -> Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory :C:\Octopus\Applications

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Octopus\Tentacle\Tentacle -> ConfigurationFilePath : C:\Octopus\Tentacle\Tentacle.config

Config file “C:\Octopus\Tentacle\Tentacle.config”:
<set key="Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory">E:\Octopus\Applications</set>

What takes precedence? Registry or config file?

Hi Jan,

Thanks for reaching out! The one you should pay attention to is the one on the Config file. Those values you see on the Manager in your screenshot come straight from the config file and not from the registry.

Octopus only uses the registry for 2 things:

• Figuring out where the Octopus Server/Tentacle binaries where installed. You can find that on the InstallLocation key.

• Figuring out where the config file for a specific instance was dropped. This is what the ConfigurationFile key is for.

I searched in 3 of my Octopus lab instances, and in none of them I could find a key called Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Octopus. I’m wondering if perhaps that was created in an (way) older version of Octopus like 2.6 or something like that? In any case, the one that matters is the config file :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!
Dalmiro

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.

I can confirm your hunch about 2.6.
I upgraded our tentacles from 2.6 to 3. yesterday and saw remnants of Octopus installations on the C and E drives that made me wonder…

Greetings,

Jan