Config transforms not running unless file is marked as content

Hi, we recently moved from 2.6 to 3.2 and have seen some interesting behaviour with config transforms. Most (all?) of our web apps have a release transform to remove the debug flag (as expected) but in some cases these files were marked as None (rather than Content). I’ve checked the Task Logs for a 2.6 deploy and seen that the transforms were still running (when marked None) but in a 3.2 release they do not run (unless the file is marked as Content).

Does any of that make sense? I’m lacking sleep so not sure if I’m missing some crucial prior knowledge or an item in the release notes for 3/3.2?

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting in touch.

That does seem like odd behaviour, I don’t believe we check for None/Content when doing config transforms.

Are the files that have been marked None being deployed?

From your description it sounds like the transform source files are not being picked up? (eg: Web.Release.config is not working)

Cheers,
Shane

Hi Shane, thanks for the quick reply. I am sorry but I have wasted your time – on closer analysis I can see that what has changed between 2.6 and 3.2 is the way the task output is reported. In 2.6 it’s more verbose so the transformation step is more obvious that it is happening (the step is happening on 3.2 but it’s not as clearly reported). I have confirmed that both task logs failed to find the Web.Release.config file to transform (as expected because it was missing from the package).

Sorry again to have wasted your time.

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon,

No problem, I’m glad it’s working. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Shane