Community Step Template sync issue

Hi,
I am seeing an issue with the sync of a step template called “Deploy Child Octopus Deploy Project”.
In the Usage section I can see that the version is 23.

But the import json says the version is 27

I know there is a sync task that runs to sync to the latest version, does this run when I import the Step Template?

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hey @mikepower79,

Thanks for reaching out on our community forum. The synchronize task runs every 24 hours and when the Octopus server starts. More information on the sync task can be found here.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Brent

Hi @brent_kinney,
The version is still at 23, its doesn’t look like the task runs to update to the latest version.
What is the name of the task that runs?

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hi @mikepower79 ,

I’m just stepping in for Brett as he’s currently offline.
You can find the task in the Tasks page then click the Show Advanced Filters button and check the check box Include System Tasks

You should see the Synchronize Community Step Templates task in the list.

Would you be able to check if this task was successful?

Kind Regards,
Dom.

Hi @dom.richardson,

Yes its failing:

Running community library step templates sync…
January 5th 2023 04:30:48Verbose
Downloading latest community templates from https://library.octopus.com/api/step-templates
January 5th 2023 04:30:48Fatal
The Octopus server failed to connect to our community library. Community step templates - Octopus Deploy The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
—> System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.g__InternalFillHandshakeBufferAsync|189_0[TIOAdapter](TIOAdapter adap, ValueTask1 task, Int32 minSize) at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ReceiveBlobAsync[TIOAdapter](TIOAdapter adapter) at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ForceAuthenticationAsync[TIOAdapter](TIOAdapter adapter, Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] reAuthenticationData, Boolean isApm) at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.EstablishSslConnectionAsync(SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslOptions, HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Stream stream, CancellationToken cancellationToken) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.EstablishSslConnectionAsync(SslClientAuthenticationOptions sslOptions, HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Stream stream, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.AddHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request) at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCompletionSourceWithCancellation1.WaitWithCancellationAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithVersionDetectionAndRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.g__Core|83_0(HttpRequestMessage request, HttpCompletionOption completionOption, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts, CancellationToken originalCancellationToken)
Octopus.Server version 2022.2.8011 (2022.2.8011)
January 5th 2023 04:30:48Fatal
The community library step templates synchronization failed.
The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hey @mikepower79,

Brent is on PTO today so just stepping in to keep this ticket moving, the error:

The community library step templates synchronization failed.
The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.
Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.

Seems like this might be a TLS issue, our documentation mentions:

The Octopus Server uses a sync task to connect to https://library.octopus.com/ over https (port 443). If you don’t see any Community Step Templates after enabling the feature, verify outbound traffic is enabled on port 443.

Are you able to access the URL https://library.octopus.com/api/step-templates from your Octopus server.

We should be forcing the use of TLS 1.2 for 2022.2 versions, I imagine your server is setup to use TLS 1.2 but could you triple check just so we can rule that out. You probably know how to do this already but you can use a program called IIS Crypto to see what protocols you have enabled on your Octopus Server.

Let me know how you get on with accessing the Library URL from a browser on your Octopus server and also if you have TLS 1.2 enabled on the Octopus server and we can go from there.

Kind Regards,
Clare

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.