Communicate with WCF service

Hi community,

Our system uses a WCF service (hosted inside a Windows service) that starts and stops other applications.

Deployment of this service via Octopus Just Works ™, thumbs up for that.

What I’d like to know: Is there a way for Octopus to “talk” directly to certain endpoints of that WCF service, for example telling the service to stop all applications?

A workaround would be to create a small console app that Octopus can run with corresponding command line arguments, which in turn calls the WCF service. But that would introduce complexity and work for development team - which I would like to avoid.

Thanks,
Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry for the delay in responding here. I have done some looking into this and I have not been able to find any examples of others doing this.

Octopus has the power to perform almost any task which can be executed via script. Generally when we do not directly support an external service/application, our suggestion is to try custom scripting. Octopus does this well, generally if it can be scripted then Octopus can do it. Though I do not have any experience with WCF so I can not provide much help there.

If you have any thoughts or questions here I will be happy to help however I can.

Best regards,
Daniel