Cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server

Hi,

We’ve begun to secure our newly provisioned IIS servers and have used this really good PowerShell script that covers off a fair amount. Now my issue is, Octopus Deploy Tentacles now no longer work.

https://www.hass.de/content/setup-your-iis-ssl-perfect-forward-secrecy-and-tls-12

Now I’m going to work out what cipher is required to get this working, but thought I’d raise this as a problem here.

ERROR: An unknown connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The SSL connection request has failed.

Octopus Tentacle ERROR: FATAL System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.CheckServerCommunicationsPortIsOpen(Uri serverAddress) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs:line 135
at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.Start() in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs:line 73
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\AbstractCommand.cs:line 55
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 36

Thanks Rob.

I’ve actually just found discussion that was already raised about this.

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/4793-tls-10-now-fails-pci-compliance-scans

Would be interesting to know where you are at with this though.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Currently Octopus requires TLS 1.0 because we’re limited to .NET 4.0. However, when Octopus 3.1 ships we’ll switch to .NET 4.5 and then we’ll go with TLS 1.2. Until then, we’re stuck with TLS 1.0 unfortunately.

Paul