Chocolatey package broken in version 3.1.2?

Hi,

We use Chocolatey to install and upgrade our Octopus servers. This has worked fine until version 3.1.2 of Octopus.
With version 3.1.2, cup OctopusDeploy -y run as normal and don’t report any errors or warnings. After the command is complete Chocolatey reports that version 3.1.2 is installed. BUT IT’S NOT. Looking at Programs And Features we see that version 3.1.1 is still installed and the Octopus UI still reports version 3.1.1(After Ctrl+F5)

We have used this command many times on many different Octopus servers and it has always worked without any issues. It has now stopped working on all the servers.

Any help and insight is valued. We are stuck on version 3.1.1 now and repeated attempts to force upgrade to version 3.1.2 with Chocolatey fail to actually upgrade Octopus

/Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for letting us know, it does seem there is an issue with the latest version on Chocolatey and we’re looking into why it doesn’t download the new installer when running cup octopusdeploy

I am very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you. I hope we will be able to get to the bottom of this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Hi Jan,

I’ve been doing some further investigating with debug logging etc in Chocolatey and the reason that updating to 3.1.2 isn’t working, is because the content-length of the 3.1.2 package is exactly the same as the size of the 3.1.1 package, due to this Chocolatey doesn’t download the new file and just uses the file it has in it’s cache.

Thank you,
Henrik

Hi again,

Found this GH issue for chocolatey to install new packages with exact same size as an old package, https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/issues/405 and it’s set to be release with choco v0.9.9.9.

Until then, the only thing I can suggest is to clear out the OctopusDeploy folder in the choco cache folder (by default %temp%\Chocolatey) before running cup.

Hope that helps.

Thank you and warm regards,
Henrik

Hi,

Clearing the choco cache fixed the issue.
Nasty bug in Chocolatey. Good thing it’s fixed in the next release.

Thanks for your help

/Jan