Check status of hosts files and update

Hi there.

I am fairly new to Octopus and wanted to know if the following is possible;

We have a number of environments set up which communicate via the hosts file. We would like a weekly check to ensure the hosts files are correct as our developers have a habit of making changes and not reverting once they have finished.

Is there any mechanism that would check the hosts files on each ENV & Deployment Target to ensure it matches a requested data set? If so, is it possible to then update the hosts file, if it differs to the pre-set values?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section and thanks in advance.

Hi Hardeep,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome! We can certainly help you in this section. :slight_smile:

If I understand your requirements correctly, then this is definitely possible! In Octopus 2018.4 we introduced a feature called Scheduled Triggers. This will allow you to define a specific recurring time (daily, weekly, etc.) to deploy your project automatically at those times. You can configure it to either create and deploy a new release, or deploy the latest release of a known good hosts file. You can read more about scheduled triggers in our documentation.

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think or if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.