Channel Retention policy

We have lot of development environments which we use a branch-channel based deployment, we associate each team branch with a channel. everything works fine except for the retention policy. we have just one release to be retained at any give time. For some reason the retention policy dosent work and leads to out of space on disk. It only works on the tentacle not on octopus server.
Appreciate for the help!

Hi @bnupvarma,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I may need to get some further information from you here to get a better idea of what could be going on.

Would you be able to let me know what version of Octopus you are currently running?

Relating to our Retention Policy Octopus will always keep the files for the latest release on the Octopus server. From what I can gather your Tentacles clean everything up fine but Octopus is keeping all of the data for each branch’s release. (Let me know if I have this wrong)

The first thing I though was to check your Retention Policy settings for the Channels Lifecycle to ensure that the Releases section is not set to Keep all, as this would keep all releases on the Octopus server.

However if this is already configured and your problem is specifically related to how we retain the data for your specific Channel release, there is an Option in the project settings which may help.

Discrete Channel Releases: Choose if channel release are treated independently or for the entire project.

Considered for the entire project: Any channel release will supersede existing channel releases. Learn more about hotfix deployments

Treat independently from other channels: Will apply to both the project dashboard and for retention policies. Learn more about feature branches

If the above does not help, would you be able to attach a full deployment log with variable logging, for a release where the retention policies are not applying?

Let me know if I have missed anything. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel