Change Octopus Tentacle uninstall options

Hi, most installers in Add/Remove Programs would have a Remove, Change, Repair option but the Octopus Tentacle install only has Remove/Repair. I have taken over an estate where a handful of servers have Octopus Tentacle configured as a listening tentacle but our traffic cannot travel in that direction so I need to change them all to polling and finding myself having to uninstall the Tentacle, copy the installer from the Octopus server to this server (god knows where the predecessor put the installer locally!) and install again this time with polling selected

Is it possible to have a Change option for the tentacle so we can switch between types and even servers without having to do a full uninstall/reinstall? I guess all it would be the install GUI pop-up and then amending the tentacle config…

Never mind, found C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tools.exe which is used to reconfigure the Tentacle (not sure if this is on the help section anywhere?)

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Since you can have many instances of a Tentacle running on the same machine (and using the same binaries), the “Change” approach wouldn’t work in our case.

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tools.exe opens the “Tentacle Manager”, which is the recommended way to create/delete instances of Tentacles(which is what you need). We don’t mention the .exe path in our documentation, but we do mention the “Tentacle Manager” which is what that .exe opens.

Regards,

Dalmiro