Centralize Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory

Hi,
It’s possibile centralize, Octopus applicationDiretory of all target agents in a share network folder?
Target agent are in the same space and deploy the same application for env.
My deploy project have a custom installation directory and don’t use Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory.

I have see the configuration in the Tentacle-OctoDeploy.config:
D:\Octopus\Applications\OctoDeploy

Tnx.

Regards,
Gennaro.

Hi @g_riccio,

Thanks for reaching out.

I just want to be sure we’re on the same page, that you want to set the default applications folder for all your tentacles to one network share folder? I think this might potentially lead to some mutex issues in that case.

Is that what you were intending to do? Please let me know if I misunderstood. If so, what is your use case? Maybe this is something I could pass along to advice and see if there’s a suggested method.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi @jeremy.miller,
You understand.

The scenario is:
I use a custom directory for each application that is deployed on 7 machines at the same time and I would like to save space if possibile. I think it is useless to have the \Octopus\Applications\ folder in addition to the custom deploy folder.

I hope I was clear. :smile:

Tnx!

Regards,
Gennaro.

Hi @g_riccio,

I believe you should be able to change the folder to a share drive, but this might cause issues in a bunch of different areas depending on what your project is doing.

Here is some documentation on moving the directories: https://octopus.com/docs/administration/managing-infrastructure/moving-your-octopus/move-the-octopus-home-folder-and-the-tentacle-home-and-application-folders#MovetheOctopusHomefolderandtheTentacleHomeandApplicationfolders-MovetheTentacleHomeandApplicationfolders

You might need to use rolling deployments to minimize possible mutex errors. We have also had issues with scripts running from a share drive unless you add it as a trusted site(ticket regarding this issue here: Deploying to fileshare - authorisation failure). Depending on what your projects are doing, for example, if they are all using the same dll from that folder, it won’t work in that case.

It’s not recommended due to the litany of issues that might come up, but it should in theory be possible.

A lot of this is really dependant on what you’re deploying and your deployment process. If you want to give us some greater detail I could see if someone from the advice team could take a look and see if there’s a better alternative.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi @jeremy.miller,
Thanks for detailed explanation, for now the solution we have chosen is to add a new disk to the production servers to manage the spaces needed for deployment with octopus.

Best Regards,
Gennaro R.

1 Like

HI @g_riccio,

You’re very welcome!

Thanks for the update.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future. I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.