Can't upgrade tentacle version past 3.22

Our environment has a few “old” tentacles that have been neglected over the years. They were originally on version 3.17 and I was able to upgrade them to 3.22 via the Octopus Server GUI. However, our latest installed tentacles are able to upgrade, via the Octopus Server GUI, to version 6.0 (they were installed with version 5x). Why can’t the 3.22 tentacles upgrade to 6.0? Thanks!

Hi @chark,

Welcome to the Octopus forums!

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you receiving some sort of error when attempting to upgrade the tentacles?

When you used the GUI and clicked upgrade tentacles, it upgraded to 3.22 and stopped?

Which version of Octopus Server are you currently running?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Are you receiving some sort of error when attempting to upgrade the tentacles? - No error. On the 3.22 tentacles, there is no option to upgrade any higher (I apologize for not being clearer). The GUI makes it seem like 3.22 is the latest and greatest.

When you used the GUI and clicked upgrade tentacles, it upgraded to 3.22 and stopped? See the above

Which version of Octopus Server are you currently running? Don’t laugh - 2018.7.12 - we have an in house add on that will break when we upgrade to a higher version, so we are trying to fix that add on first.

Thanks!

Hi @chark,

I combed through our issues and change logs and I don’t see anything that could be causing this at first glance. Unfortunately, it’s looking like you may need to manually update them to get them past this phantom threshold.

This document outlines upgrading tentacles a bit: https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/deployment-targets/windows-targets/automating-tentacle-installation

I’m going to speak to a few of my coworkers and see if they have previously automated any of this through the script console. We likely won’t hear back til tomorrow as they work in Australia and the UK. We’re on a bit of a skeleton crew until after New Years.

How many affected tentacles do you have that are stuck at 3.22? If it’s small enough maybe manually brute forcing it might be the best option here.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I will let you know what my colleagues say.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy for your assistance. We have about a dozen or so to upgrade, so not bad at all. When I tried to run the installer, the output of the msi made it seem like it was going to create a new tentacle rather than upgrade it. If I direct the msi to “install” the tentacle at our custom path, will it upgrade the tentacle?

Hi @chark,

When installing it via the GUI if you target the path your current one is installed to it will upgrade the current tentacle and not create a new one. As a safety precaution, I would snapshot the tentacle VM and start with one just to be sure as your setup might differ from mine.

Were you installing via the GUI? Do you have any screenshots of the output?

Please let me know how it goes or if you hit any bumps.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi @chark,

A colleague of mine did a quick reproduction on your version and found the same results. We found that 3.22 is the version of tentacle that was likely bundled with your version of server when looking at the release time of both the respective tentacle and the octopus server versions. Octopus Server should only upgrade tentacles to the version that came bundled with the version of server.

We aren’t able to reproduce being able to upgrade 5.X tentacles within the GUI, it thinks its up to date and there is no button. The upgrade button was there for you in the 5.X tentacles? Do you have task logs from those upgrades by chance?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy for your assistance. We were able to upgrade 5x tentacles (they were installed with the latest installer ta the time of installation, not 3x) to the latest and greatest via the GUI.

Hi @chark,

Your version stopping on 3.22 is actually intended behavior as that was the latest and greatest when your version of Octopus came out. It is a bit weird that you’re able to upgrade tentacles that existed later to versions even beyond that.

I think if you want to move these 3.22s beyond that you will need to manually upgrade them. Were you able to get these all safely upgraded?

Please let me know if you’re still running into trouble with it or if you’re in a good state.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Update - I was able to manually upgrade all of the 3.X tentacles to 6.0.135. Looks like we are good. Thank you for your assistance!

1 Like

Hi @chark,

Thanks so much for the update. You’re very welcome!

Please let us know if you hit any bumps in the future and I hope you have a great rest of your day.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.