Can't upgrade all Tentacles

I upgraded my Octopus Server to version 2019.7.1. After I did the upgrade I tried to upgrade the tentacles in my environment.

About 1/2 of them failed at this at this step:
Running Tentacle version 4.0.1
Beginning upgrade
Waiting for the upgrade to complete

If I look at the log file on the server I see this:
CommandLine: C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe extract --package Tentacle.nupkg --destination D:\Octopus\Crosspoint-QA\Upgrade\20190711162100-MSEEW --console
INFO 6 files extracted

From what it looks like, it extract the files and does nothing else. I even tried rebooting one of the servers to see if that helped and it did not.

If I manually run the Octopus installer on the server it will update the tentacle

Thanks

I am seeing the same behavior after updating Octopus to 2019.7.4 from 2019.5.10.
If the Octopus server is attempting to use “latest” (v5.0), I’ve seen this behavior in upgrading from 4.0.1 to 5.0 as well as 4.0.6 to 5.0. Upgrading to 5.0 manually works fine and the tentacle health is restored.

Hi @cqueenan & @kcamp,

I’m very sorry for the delay in responding to this question! I have some information here which could explain what is going on.

We recently upgraded the requirements for our .NET Framework version and have been receiving reports of trouble upgrading the Octopus server service and the Tentacle service. From what I have seen, this issue can be resolved by upgrading your .NET Framework version to 4.7.2

We have an issue relating to this in regards to the Octopus server version.

It looks like the workarounds are to either manually upgrade as you have here, or to update your .NET Framework version.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any further questions here.

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.