Can't start Tentacle service

Octopus Tentacle Version: 1.6.2.1722

I am having a problem starting my tentacle service after server reboot. If I attempt to start the service, I receive the error below.
I have the appropriate rules added to the firewall for the tentacle port. Attached you will find a screenshot of the Tentacle Manager and Tentacle Administration Tool.

This tentacle was working fine before the server got restarted after a power failure. Any ideas on how to get my tentacle online again?

Error Log:
2014-06-03 20:39:04.6199 INFO Waiting for service to start. Current status: StartPending
2014-06-03 20:39:05.2445 INFO Resolving for Pipefish.Hosting.ActivitySpace
2014-06-03 20:39:05.6321 ERROR An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start(Int32 backlog)
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 46
at Octopus.Tentacle.Communications.TcpServer.TcpServerDistributionConfig.StartApp() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Communications\TcpServer\TcpServerDistributionConfig.cs:line 87
at Octopus.Tentacle.Communications.TcpServer.TcpServerDistributionConfig.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Communications\TcpServer\TcpServerDistributionConfig.cs:line 52
at Octopus.Tentacle.Communications.DistributionStarter.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Communications\DistributionStarter.cs:line 17
at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RunAgentCommand.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RunAgentCommand.cs:line 50
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.WindowsServiceHost.<>c__DisplayClass2.b__0() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\WindowsServiceHost.cs:line 19
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.WindowsServiceAdapter.RunService() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\WindowsServiceAdapter.cs:line 44

Even after another restart, the service wouldn’t start.

I used task manager to close down everything Octopus Deploy, then started the service via command line and it started successfully. I shut down the command line and tried again with the GUI manager and it started successfully… Not sure what the problem is, but this has seemed to fix it.

Hi Travis,

Thanks for getting in touch!

What I am seeing in the screenshot and again in the error log is that you appear to have two different versions of tentacle on that server.
The first sign of this is your error message mentions pipefish, which was only introduced in v2.0 of Octopus/Tentacle. So we would not see that in the error message if it was v1.6 of tentacle.
The second sign is your screen shot shows both the UI for v2.0 and the UI for 1.6
If they were both installed and both active, they would be possibly using the same port (if neither were changed on install) and thus giving the errors below, as they are conflicting.

So if you could see or find if you have two different installs, and remove one of them, it should fix your problem or stop it from occurring again.

Let me know what you find!

Vanessa

Ah, that makes sense. Somehow when I did my upgrade, the old version never got removed. Thanks!