Cannot uninstall 3.3.20

I tried to do a clean uninstall to upgrade my tentacle. I keep getting the attached error.

Capture.PNG

And this…

Capture.PNG

Hi Almsj,

Thanks for getting in touch! Generally you do not need to remove your current Tentacle installation to install a later version. Octopus has the ability to upgrade Tentacles itself from the web interface.

There is a section called Upgrading Octopus Tentacles With information on upgrading your Tentacles in Octopus.

Along with a guide on Installing the Tentacle:
https://octopus.com/docs/installation/installing-tentacles

If you have any issues here please provide me with some more information and I would be happy to help.

Best regards,
Daniel

I understand, but it will not let me reinstall, downgrade or upgrade.

Hi,

Would you be able to give me some more information regarding what happens when you try to upgrade the Tentacle?

The following things will help me resolve this issue.
A screenshot that shows me the screen in Octopus when you try to upgrade.
Attach Tentacle logs from the server that the Tentacle is installed. (Default location is C:\Octopus\Logs\OctopusTentacle.txt)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

The screenshots above are from when trying to upgrade.

C:\Octopus\ does not exist.

Hi Almsj,

In the second screenshot you attached, I noticed that you are selecting the file Octopus.Tentacle.3.3.20-x64(1).msi Would you be able to try removing the (1) from the .msi name and try again? It looks like Octopus can not read the file properly, this may be why.

Let me know if that helps.

Best regards,
Daniel

Yes, I tried that, same results. Is there not a support line, phone number for your product? This is ridiculous!

Hi,

We do have a service for offering screen shares to customers who are having issues that we are unable to resolve here. However, I have overlooked one of our documentation pages that has detailed information on removing the Tentacle service that could really help. I can also give you some information on doing so manually.

The documentation page:

Below are a few of the steps from the above guide that I think should help you uninstall the Tentacle.

The following part of the above guide looks to be where you are having your issue:

2. Now uninstall the MSI.
This will remove the application files.

Would you be able to try doing this step last after the below steps I mention? And uninstall via the Programs and Features window. (See screenshot1.jpg)

First step, remove the files from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\Octopus.

Find and delete the Octopus registry entries from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Octopus.

Find and delete any Octopus folders from:
%ProgramData%\Octopus - could be used for log files when a Home Directory cannot be discovered
%LocalAppData%\Octopus - could be used for log files when a Home Directory cannot be discovered

Now remove the Tentacle MSI from the Programs and Features window.

The above instructions will remove everything but leave any sites that you may have deployed still operational. If you want to completely remove absolutely everything including deployed sites, then you can follow every step on the guide that I linked above.

If you follow the above and are still having this issue, you are able to schedule a screen share/call with us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

The times you offer for support, I am not in the office. Please provide another avenue of support.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Unfortunately, as we are an Australian based company, the only times we offer are 7am to 9pm AEST. I would be happy to do a screen share but it will need to fall under these times.
Our primary method of support is here or via email. We generally only offer support calls for issues we can not resolve here.

How did you go with the steps I listed below?

Best regards,
Daniel