Cannot start this task yet because "ServerTasks-#####, ServerTasks-#####" (have read locks) tasks are currently running and this task cannot be run in conjunction with any other tasks. Please wait

Error Message:
Cannot start this task yet because "ServerTasks-211695, ServerTasks-211694" (have read locks) tasks are currently running and this task cannot be run in conjunction with any other tasks. Please wait...

We have some automation wrapped around our deployments that will kick off multiple project deployments simultaneously. This tends to show up during this workflow.

We recently upgraded from the Jan release and are now running v2018.6.8. This wasn’t an issue pre-upgrade.

The post Running Simultaneous task server locks deployments seems to document my issue, but we’re running a newer version than the documented fix. Since a fix seems to have been put out, I have yet to apply the suggested Octopus.Action.UseNewExecutionDispatcher variable tweak and hoping to get more insight.

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for contacting us. I’m sorry to hear that there might still be a problem with the new deployment system that is affecting you.

The variable Octopus.Action.UseNewExecutionDispatcher was a temporary variable that was removed in version 2018.4.4, so it won’t help in this case. The details are here - https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/4420

Could you send us the task logs of the deployments that failed? Hopefully we can figure out what’s causing the problem from the logs.

Also, how is your automation starting the project deployments? It might be causing a deadlock in the queuing system.

Thanks

After digging in on the issue a bit further, I realized that the message pasted above didn’t represent the failure, but rather a notification that the task was queued. The failure was environment-specific and not precise, so I failed to analyze it successfully. I’ve since identified the error and resolved it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.