Cancelling a deploy with manual intervention step over many servers

I accidentally deployed an Octopus project with a manual intervention step to many servers. I was unable to Cancel the whole deploy in one go. I had to assign the manual intervention step to myself and click Abort for every.single.server.

Is there any way to Cancel a whole deploy that has a reached a manual intervention step when it is being deployed to many servers? Without having to abort for each server individually?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create an Octopus project with a manual intervention step
  2. Select a deployment role that includes many (10 or more) servers
  3. When the manual intervention step is reached, attempt to cancel the deploy for all servers with a single action

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry you hit this unexpected behavior requiring tediously annoying actions to complete. The only way I’m able to reproduce this behavior is with a manual intervention step within a rolling deployment. The parent step targets a role, so the intervention is run for each machine in that role. Is that the case for you?

If that matches your configuration, then this is actually by design, and it may make more sense to add the manual intervention step outside of the rolling deployment. This will mean the step only runs once on the Octopus Server, instead of for each target server. There was a popular UserVoice suggestion to implement this with some use cases outlining how each server waiting for intervention was the desired behavior.

If you already have this step outside of a rolling deployment, then I’d like to investigate further as that isn’t the correct behavior. Which Octopus version are you currently using in this case? Would you be willing to provide a screenshot of your deployment process to ensure I reproduce this exactly?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Peter,

I’m just reaching out again quickly to let you know that I’ve revisited this issue you’re hitting. I was misunderstanding this initially and I apologize about that! I’ve been able to reproduce this behavior where you’re unable to cancel the deployment and I’ve raised the following issue. Feel free to track its progress here.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.