Can you use scheduled triggers for different steps in the same build?

I have a project that has one step for running QA tests against our environments. It has four triggers defined to run every day at different times, each scoped to a different environment (Int, Reg, Stg, Prod).

I want to add another trigger to run the tests against all four of the environments at the same time on the weekend (this would be accomplished as one job via an inline script), so I would have two different types of runs. Something like “Run only Step 1 on weekdays, run only Step 2 on weekends.” Step 2 is not scoped to a specific environment in Octopus.

I’m trying to add another step to be run by a new trigger but it appears that I can only select one environment for the Source and Destination environments. Would it be better to create a new project for this?

Hi @womackn,

Thanks for reaching out and for all of the information.

I think the best path forward here would be to have separate runbooks for Step 1, and Step 2, then have the triggers run those runbooks on the designated days. Without knowing your deployment process, I’m not sure if that will work for you.

Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Best,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, I will give that a try with a test project, thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like