Can we label octopus releases using mercurial branches

I have recently implemented a version control to handle multiple mercurial branches from 1 build configuration. Problem is I know that I am using 1.0 for develop branch, 2.0 fro master branch and 3.0 for feature branch but other people dont have a clue what that means. Is there any way we display the same buildNumber we get along with branch name in Octopus. As currently, Octopus will display only build numbers created but not the branch name.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! How are you creating your releases in Octopus?
I am wondering if you could make use of the release notes field for your releases to include the data that you need?

If you give me a bit more information about your process we might be able to figure something out.
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for your reply. I am using teamcity to build, package and then deploy using octopack. Using version control as described in the following post.

Can you please guide where is release notes field.

Regards
Saba

Hi Saba,

With the octo.exe create-release you can add a release notes via --releasenotesfile= where you link to a file that has your release notes and this will be included.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I mean to display branch name with release version in Octopus dashboard. Currently, Dashboard display version number and I understand we cant create a release with a string in it. Any we we can pass and display that branch name in dashboard under various environments.

As highlighted in attached image. i want the develop and release branch to appear along side release number.

Please guide

Hi Saba,

Release numbers can have strings - just in the format required by SemVer so you could have 2.0.525-Release10 not a problem. It is considered a ‘pre-release version’ due to the formatting, but if you are creating your own releases you should not run into any problems.

Vanessa

perfect. Thank you very much.