Can multiple Octopus Server instances use the same database

We had a scenario come up recently where we were doing a large deployment (2-4 hrs) and we needed to do another small deployment immediately. The second deployment got queued up behind the other and had to wait. We were thinking that if we had a second instance of octopus we could have just pushed the second deployment that way and it could have run immediately.

Is pointing multiple instances of Octopus Server at the same database supported? Will it work (even if it’s not supported)? Are there concerns we should be aware of? Is there a better solution?

Hi Tad,

Thanks for getting in touch! Pointing multiple instances of Octopus Server to a single database is supported only under a high availability (HA) setup which requires a data center license. With standard licenses, each Octopus instance has to have its own dedicated database.

Unfortunately Octopus doesn’t currently have the ability to re-order tasks, other than cancelling all currently queued tasks. There’s an existing suggestion to implement this ability on our UserVoice site, and I’d recommend throwing some more attention to it. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry it’s not better news! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns moving forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.