Can I run Octopus Server on AWS SQL RDS?

I am in the midst of provisioning an EC2 instance for Octopus, and I would love to host the database in AWS SQL RDS. I know that Azure SQL is supported, but does anyone have any experience with using RDS?

Thanks,
Erick

Hi Erick,

Thanks for getting in touch! It’s not something we’ve tested, but our experience with RDS is that it is just SQL Server, so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work (SQL Azure is a pretty different beast, but RDS is, as far as I understand, just plain SQL Server).

Paul Stovell

Thanks for the quick response Paul. I’ll give it a try and post my results here.

Thanks,
Erick

We are going to try this too, as it will remove some of the admin overhead, I’ll come back and let you know how we get on.

Thanks Charlie, I’m still getting ready to try this out and will update as well.

Erick

So far so good, I have got the server up and running and talking to database hosted on RDS, I have also successfully re-built the octopus server and using the master key attached to the original database.

Likewise, I have Octopus up and running against SQL Server RDS. We’re at the start of the migration, but so far so good.