Can I clone a whole machine for testing upgrades?

All the articles i have read about cloning the octopus deploy server for testing upgrades involves installing a fresh instance of octopus deploy on to a machine and then using the backed up data to clone my main instance. What would happen if i used hyper-v clone to copy the whole machine including an installed octopus deploy server instance? Would that give me a clone of the server that is usable or will there be issues similar to when you clone a machine with a tentacle on it?

1 Like

Hey Adam,

While this isn’t our recommended approach to setting up a test environment (which can be found in the documentation here: Creating a test instance - Octopus Deploy), you should be able to use this as a quick test.

Is the SQL Server Database also on that same VM? If so that makes the test much easier.

As a safety precaution, it would be best to air gap the cloned VM. If that’s not possible, you’ll want to change the hostname/ip of the cloned VM so that tentacles/workers/build servers can’t communicate with the cloned instance.

Before you do the clone, you’ll want to put the server in Maintenance mode.
If the SQL DB is also being cloned(or is on the same VM), you can run these commands on the SQL DB before starting the Octopus Service to disable things from automatically running. Don’t run these against your prod SQL database.

DELETE FROM OctopusServerNode
DELETE FROM OctopusServerNodeStatus
UPDATE Subscription SET IsDisabled = 1
UPDATE ProjectTrigger SET IsDisabled = 1
UPDATE Machine SET IsDisabled = 1
UPDATE Worker SET IsDisabled = 1

Please let me know if that works for you or if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! We’ll put the SQL server on the cloned VM for the purposes of upgrading.

I appreciate the help.

Hey Adam,

You’re very welcome!

Let me know how it goes or if you run into any issues.

If I don’t hear from you I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.