Can i access the parent step name for a childset?

Hi all,

I like to use the “group” name in the different childsets like #{parant,name}. Is there a way to have this functionality.

At this point I’m repeating a “name” property in every step, which could cause some errors if we are not carefull. The other way would be to be able to put variables on a group level. But that also not something I can do.

Would be nice thought …

So basicly … I’m I missing something :wink:

–jw

Hi JW,

Thanks for getting in touch! I am not sure I am correctly interpreting the issue here. Are you able to provide an example of what you are after?

Thanks!
Vanessa

We deploy one of our application to several customers at the same time. So we have a deployment which looks a bit like this:

Customer A (group)

• Step 1 (child)
  • Step 2 (child)
  • Step 3 (child)

Customer B (group)

• Step 1 (child)
  • Step 2 (child)
  • Step 3 (child)

At this point I have to repeat the name of the customer (which is used in the naming conventions) in every step. When I make a mistake in the spelling in one of the steps my deployment results in error (or worse, will succeed but not as expected).

It would be nice to able to define variables/parameters on the “customer/group” level instead of on the step (child)level.

Another options would be to be able to create “multi step” templates. Where I can define parameters on the top.

Does this makes a bit more sense?

I know … I can’t create multistep templates nor can I create varaible/parameters at the customer level.

Hence my question: can i access the name of the customer(group from the lower steps (childs)?

–jw

Hi JW,

Currently in these kinds of situations if you are using the same package for your different customers that instead of multiple steps you define a customer as an environment and scope the variables as such. It means more deployments but generally it is less overhead and management. None of the solutions are great, but that is why we are currently developing Multi-tenancy as a first class feature and you will not have to use such workarounds. It will have variables able to be defined at customer level.

Here is a bit of a write up on how you can use Octopus to wrangle this data now: http://docs.octopus.com/display/OD/Multi-tenant+deployments

Vanessa

fingers crossed for 3.4