Calamari Upgrade Issue (Failed to Extract for 3.7.71)

This is on server version 3.13.10 when I try to run a deployment:

10:29:46 Verbose | Failed to extract package to 'C:\Octopus\Calamari\3.7.71’
10:29:46 Verbose | System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly ‘NuGet.Packaging.Core.Types, Version=3.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
10:29:46 Verbose | File name: 'NuGet.Packaging.Core.Types, Version=3.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’
10:29:46 Verbose | at Octopus.Shared.Packages.NuGetPackageInstaller.Install(Stream packageStream, String directory, ILog log, Boolean suppressNestedScriptWarning)
10:29:46 Verbose | at Octopus.Shared.Packages.NuGetPackageInstaller.Install(String packageFile, String directory, ILog log, Boolean suppressNestedScriptWarning) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Shared\Packages\NuGetPackageInstaller.cs:line 24
10:29:46 Verbose | at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.ExtractCommand.Start() in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\ExtractCommand.cs:line 50

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Is this for a deployment step running on your Octopus Server or a Tentacle? If a Tentacle, does this same error occur with all of your Tentacles, or just this one? Did this only recently start happening, or did this only start occurring after upgrading Server/Tentacle (or anything else) recently?

Could you please attach the full task log for the task that’s failing? That will help us see more environment information for the given error.

We’re wondering if something went wrong during the transfer of the Calamari package to your Tentacle. It typically installs your version of Calamari to a folder @ C:\Octopus\[your tentacle name]\Calamari. Could you RDP into your Tentacle server and see if the 3.7.71 version of Calamari has a folder in there? If so, you could delete the 3.7.71 folder, then try re-deploying and it will push the package again.

If that still fails, is there anything different about this Tentacle server compared to the others? Which version of Tentacle did you install, 64-bit or 32-bit?

Let me know how you go.

Cheers
Mark

This is a step running on a tentacle. It seems to be only a couple of tentacles in the same environment (others are fine). This started happening right after the lastest Octopus Server update. This is the 64-bit tentacle.

I’ll see if I can get on the box and delete the Calamari folder in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jamie

ServerTasks-62047.log.txt (92 KB)

It looks like the folder existed but it was empty – when I tried again it made the base folder but again was empty. I reinstalled the latest tentacle and re-registered with the server and the issue went away.

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Glad you found a fix for this. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers
Mark