Cache the release packages on some environments in advance

Morning,

Is there any way to cache the release packages on selected environments in advance? It takes some time to distribute packages during the deployment. Managements asked me whether we can reduce time here as well?

Thank you.

p.s.: ‘i am not a robot’ feature is so nasty. Can you replace it with something simple for humans, please?

Hi Stan,

Thanks for getting in touch! It is possible to cache your packages in advance. Since packages are cached on the Tentacles so you don’t have to download the same package multiple times, we’d need to get the packages there initially. You can use the Transfer a package step which will leave the package unextracted when it transfers it to your targets. A couple of options come to mind to perform the package transfer prior to your deployment.

• Set up a separate project to perform this step
  • Create a pre-release channel and scope this step to this channel

If you’d like more info on the option to use a channel, feel free to refer to our channels documentation page.

Another option can be to create a manual intervention step after the package acquisition phase to pause the deployment process until you’re ready to proceed. This process has been outlined in the following documentation page.

Regarding the I am not a robot feature - thank you for your input on this. I know it can be a pain to deal with, but it really helps keep the spam down for us so unfortunately it’s a bit of a necessary evil right now. We want to make the experience better, and we can follow-up with our forum host to ask if there are any better options. If you’d prefer, you can also email us at support at octopus dot com :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think, and if you have any further questions at all.

Best regards,

Kenny