I ran into an interesting bug this week.
TL;DR: Changing the name of a step in a runbook that references the same package the project uses as the Release Versioning base causes the project to be inaccessible and all apis that GET a project list fail.
I have a Project with a Process that includes a single Run AWS CLI Script step. The step references a package. The Project is configured with Release Versioning based on the package version of that step,
I then created a runbook in the same project with a single Run AWS CLI Script step, dependent on the same package.
I then cloned that runbook and renamed the single step, modified the script and successfully saved the runbook. When I went back to the project details and refreshed, I got red error message: “[Step Name] not found”. Any API Call that pulled projects also failed at this point.
The first time I ran into this, I had to delete the project and the API calls that were failing started working again. After it happened a second time when I was recreating the project, I decided to dig into the database. I wrote a script that queried every column of every table of the database to find the “[Step Name]” string and got a hit on the
DeploymentSettings table. I nulled out the
DonorPackage value in the JSON column of that table for the project and the error disappeared.
I took a few screenshots as well if they help.