Bug: Enter key defaults to 'Run Now'/'Deploy' when selecting deployment targets

Hi,

This happens in any location where the ‘Targets’ section is used (Script Console, plus Deployments), but the easiest to demo/reproduce is on the deployment page.

It’s not 100% repeatable on the script console, but it happens to me frequently enough that I hit it three or four times today.
It’s generally always repeatable on a Deployment page.

Steps to reproduce (for a Release).

1. From a Release page, click ‘Deploy To’ and select Deploy To (environment).
  2. Under ‘Preview and Customise’ click on the environment to expand this section.
  3. Click on ‘Deployment Targets All Included’ to expand this section.
  4. Click on ‘Include specific deployment targets’
  5. Click in the ‘Select targets’ and type in the name of a target (doesn’t matter if it exists)
  6. Hit the enter key.
  7. Observe that the release attempted to deploy. If you had already entered one or more valid targets, this would result in the deploy actually executing.

What I would expect is that no use of the ‘Enter’ key should result in a deployment on that page without at least some additional confirmation.

A similar thing can happen on the Script Console. I would also expect that hitting Enter should not result in running the script in the console without at least some additional confirmation.

This has resulted in screwups, including taking out the only set of working machines from a web farm that’s in a degraded state resulting in an outage.
We’ve had to compensate by putting 30 second ‘Wait’ steps at the start of anything important so that this kind of screwup can’t happen.

Cheers,
Will.

Hi Will,

Thanks for getting in touch and thanks for reporting this. Wow, yes that is super dangerous :confused:

We’ve added this to an existing GitHub issue here that you can track to be notified when a fix is available (as it’s related to some work on the multi-select controls we’re working through now).

We’ll get that fixed as a priority.

Cheers
Mark

1 Like