Block user interface while Octopus deployment in progress

Is there any recommended mechanism for blocking the UI of a client machine while Octopus is deploying and then to reenable it subsequently?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Are you able to provide some more information on what you are trying to achieve? It very much depends on the architecture of your application, so any information here would be appreciated. Alternatively, if you need to block access to your Octopus UI while deployments are occurring please let me know and I can provide some information there.

Thanks Paul, I look forward to hearing from you shortly,

Regards,
Alex

Hi,

We’re using Octopus to deploy to POS tills and self service kiosks and we’re unable to guarantee that these updates can be carried out during out of hours (since there may be no out of hours). Therefore we are investigating best practice for such situations. I can write a Windows app to lock the entire UI at the start of the deployment, execute that as the first step, and then simply revert that change as the last step (or reboot if that is necessary).

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here.

It sounds like the approach you are taking will work. Depending on the complexity of the deployment process to both disable the consoles re-enable them it might be worth investigating having them as a separate project that is triggered with our Deploy a release step, however I will leave that determination to you.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can assist with,

Regards,
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.