BIg issue when trying to log on through another browser

I have a major issue. I have been setting up a ton of stuff in Octopus getting things ready for our first deployment. I logged in under IE 11 and noticed some of permissions were gone (I have been using Chrome up until this point). So i logged out of Octopus on IE and went back to Chrome, now I can’t see the configuration link and and when I click on a release, it tells me I don’t have permission to perform this action.

Please help. I can no longer administer the system - just because I logged in under IE. And I have a deployment coming up soon.

Hi David,

Can you try running this command to make yourself an administrator again?

Paul

Paul - Thanks! That got me back up and running. Any thoughts on what I did wrong? I don’t want to get back in that situation again

Hi David,

Were you running any older builds of Octopus 2.0 and then upgraded recently? And are you using AD authentication?

Paul

Yes - Im using AD authentication. And no recent (within the past week) updates. The only thing that I did different was login from another browser. I was still logged into the first browser at that point… would being logged in from two browsers be an issue?

Hi David,

No, that shouldn’t be an issue. What I think may have happened was:

1. We had a bug in an older version of 2.0 which we fixed later, but this meant a change in the way we store usernames
  2. You upgraded to the newer version, but since you were logged in you never needed to log in again, so the username format change didn’t affect you
  3. Only when logging in from another browser did your user account get changed

In short, it should be a one off thing - if it happens again please let us know.

Paul

Ok. That makes sense. I will let you know if I see it again.

Paul - one last issue I’m seeing is that users who are logging in again (under the newer version) are being created as separate users, which means they have no permissions, i had already set up the users and added them to the teams with the right permissions… does this mean I have to redo all that work?

And how do I know which user to delete? From the users screen, the only difference I can tell is that they have different API keys. User name and email are both the same.

Hi David,

In the URL when viewing the user, you’ll see a user ID (e.g., users-317). The one with the lowest number will be the oldest, so that is the user that can be deleted.

I’m really sorry about the extra work this has caused you, it’s a change we had to make as a result of testing during the beta unfortunately.

Paul

It’s cool Paul. Thanks for following up. I had everyone log in again and just had to re add them to the groups and delete them from the DB. Only took 10-15 mins. Hopefully, that’ll be the last time. And, it’s kind of the price you pay for pre release.