Bamboo + Octopus deploy through web deploy

Greetings!

I am working on setting up bamboo and octupus for web projects to be able to deploy code to our test-server. The issue is, that it’s being hosted on a shared host, so we don’t have the option to install ‘Tentacle’ on the webserver.

However, I’ve been looking into the community template for steps, in particular the web deploy, since I know that this runs smothly from within visual studio/cmd and the server has this enabled.

By now, I have the bamboo server set up, it builds the project, pushes the package to Octopus and creates a release. This looks like it works like a charm.

The challenge I’m facing now is with the steps to actually deploy the website within Octopus;

I have 1 Environment (test.client.com)
I have 1 Deployment Target (Though, There really isn’t a fitting option, I Chose ‘Cloud Region’)… I Guess this should be able to work, but I got no clue here…

I have 1 project with 2 steps in the proces;

1. “Upload” (I figured I needed a step to get a hold of the release-package to work on.
  2. “Deploy with Web Deploy”. (Based on the template: https://library.octopusdeploy.com/step-template/actiontemplate-web-deploy-publish-website-(msdeploy)). This step is set up to look at “Package Step Name” = Upload.

However, the second step fails with ;

Finding path to package step: Upload
May 4th 2018 11:57:47Error
No install location found for step: Upload
At C:\Octopus\Work\20180504095743-81-14\Script.ps1:25 char:5

• throw "No install location found for step: $stepName" 

I’ve taken heavy inspiration from this post https://octopus.com/blog/deploy-aspnet-applications-to-azure-websites) in creating this setup.

The question is; What is it that I’m not seeing? Are my targets ok, and are my steps correct?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I would love to be able to do CD with bamboo+octopus + webdeploy…

Cheers,
Niels

Hi Niels,

My sincere apologies for not responding to your last comment on the Octopus Library, the notification got lost in my inbox :frowning:

Just to confirm, are you deploying to Azure or are you deploying to a webserver running IIS?

If you are deploying to Azure, you could use a Deploy an Azure Web App step instead as this does not require two separate steps to deploy your package, and we have a comprehensive guide on how to set it all up.

~If that is not the case, you could possibly create a step template based on a package step, and using a custom post-deploy script to do the web deploy part (which you could copy from the msdeploy step template that you’ve already taken inspiration from).~ Scratch that, it doesn’t allow you to set it to run on server…

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Hi Niels,

So I had a thought about your issue over the weekend and I think I may have a solution for you.

You could take the script you have that runs web deploy to push your package content to your target server, put it in your package and then use a script step with the script file inside a package option selected and configured to call your deployment script.

I hope that helps.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik!

No need to apologize, we’re all busy people :wink: I’m deploying to a webserver running IIS, so it is possible to do with msdeploy… (I do that from inside VS to test, and it works nicely…)

I though about the same thing, so I guess I’ll be doing this by script… I’ll give it a run and let you know… (Very good suggestion! )

Cheers,
Niels

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.