Backup and Restore octopus 1.6.3

HI,

we are using octopus server version 1.6.3. We plan to migrate the Data center where Octopus server actually running. Can you please guide me the details steps to backup the existing server and restore it.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Jegadeesh,

Thanks for getting in touch! Moving a 1.6.3 server should be as easy as installing Octopus onto the new server, copying the Octopus directory from the old server to the new server and starting the service.
We do not have any documentation around this, but using the restore option may also be required or a good place to start. I do know that there are some files and logs that are recorded on the server.

Due to Raven being embedded, and the configuration being local this was also valid for the 2.x instances being moved, except they also had to account for the Master Key which 1.6 does not have.
As I assume you will have the original instance running when you perform the move, I suggest that you give this a try and let me know if you have any specific errors.

Do you know if you will have the same drive and path structure on the new server as this may cause issues if it needs to change.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
Vanessa

Sorry Jegadeesh,

Here are the backup and restore instructions: http://docs.octopus.com/display/OD10/Backup+and+Restore

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

It’s very useful for me . I did backed up from existing Octopus server where the version 1.6.3 running. What version of Octopus I needs to install on new servers. Whether I would be the same version or latest version?

When I tried to import the back with latest version 3.3.20 it asked me to enter the master key but the current version I didn’t find the master key for backup files.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Jegadeesh,

You can only go from 1.6.3 to 1.6.3. If you want to upgrade to our latest version you will require a new license as the 1.x license is not compatible with any edition 2 or greater.
But also the upgrade process from 1.6 to 3.x is a lot more complicated and requires multiple edition upgrades and processes.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Where can I get the installer for the octopus version 1.6.3. Any download able URLs.

Thanks.
Jegadeesh

Hi Jegadeesh,

I will have to get it tracked down or re-pushed to an available download site.
I will let you know where in our morning.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I have migrate the Octopus server 1.6.3 from one server to another one and successfully restored the data.

My question here is, after bring up the new server, how do we redirect the tentacle clients to connect the new server?

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Jedadeesh,

What behaviour and error messages are you seeing?

Vanessa

Since all the tentacle clients are connecting to production I can’t redirect it to test server.

When I restore the backup I didn’t find the configuration option. How do I get the configuration option restored place.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Jegadeesh,

Sorry I again don’t understand. Are you attempting to restore a working 1.6 instance, or did you clone it for a test case? Do you expect the Tentacles to talk to both servers?
What do you mean by configuration option? Configuration option for what?

Could you please explain what you have attempted and what you are trying to do? Is this not a straight move and copy?

Vanessa

HI Vanessa,

I restored octopus data over 1.6 instance only. See below screen shoot, after restored this “configuration” is not there.

[cid:image001.png@01D1D931.7E626EA0]

Tentacle agent already talking to octopus server called A. Now I restored the backup to octopus server B. How do we point the tentacles to connect with server B?

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Any update on this.

Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 4:00 PM
To: Vanessa Love
Subject: RE: Backup and Restore octopus 1.6.3 [Questions #8427]

HI Vanessa,

I restored octopus data over 1.6 instance only. See below screen shoot, after restored this “configuration” is not there.

[cid:image001.png@01D1DC7D.AEE96890]

Tentacle agent already talking to octopus server called A. Now I restored the backup to octopus server B. How do we point the tentacles to connect with server B?

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Jegadeesh,

As you may have found the 1.6 documentation is a bit lacking, and I have been attempting to get a VM up and running with a 1.6 installation to guide you through. I don’t understand why your configuration tab is missing nor how this relates to Tentacles.
I need to see if the same server commands exist to find your administrator account. I am getting close.

Vanessa

I am stuck with this configuration missing issue. I looking forward to get back from you.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

HI Vanessa,

Any update on this. I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 11:59 AM
To: ‘Vanessa Love’ tender2+dddf7018eb@tenderapp.com

I am stuck with this configuration missing issue. I looking forward to get back from you.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Jegadeesh,

Sorry for the delay. Currently Paul is on parental leave and is the only person with the specific information to resolve this issue. I asked him to give me guidance so I could help you but he hasn’t done it in so long he cannot remember the exact steps and would need to be on a screenshare to help you.
If you could select a time from our calendar I will see if I can get Paul to be part of the call, but it may involve rearranging the times to suit his leave.

Vanessa

Hi Jegadeesh,

While I do understand you are attempting to get the very first available time. There is no way I can possibly arrange for Paul to be on a call at 7:15am on Monday when it is now 10pm on a Friday. You could attempt for a time later on our Monday (our evening) or Tuesday (evening) but I can almost guarantee that for morning timeslots Paul will not be available with his parental leave.

This may help you http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/brisbane

Thanks
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Monday morning 7.15 am your time is midnight 2.15 am in India IST. Can you please arrange the meeting on your evening time that would be nice for me.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Hi Vanessa,

Please conform once you finalize the time.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh

Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 6:27 PM
To: ‘Vanessa Love’ tender2+dddf7018eb@tenderapp.com

Hi Vanessa,

Monday morning 7.15 am your time is midnight 2.15 am in India IST. Can you please arrange the meeting on your evening time that would be nice for me.

Thanks,
Jegadeesh