Azure: Use Variables to Configure more than ConfigurationSettings

I love the functionality in Octopus to do variable replacement on Azure Cloud Service Configuration Files. However, it only works on the ConfigurationSettings element.

Is there any way to configure the other aspects of the file, such the InstanceCount, Certificates or NetworkConfiguration? I know I can do this with Powershell scripts, but it would be nice if there was a way in the UI to define these.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. You can use the ‘Substitute Variables in Files’ feature for all settings outside the usual ConnectionStrings and AppSettings areas. http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Substitute+Variables+in+Files

You will need to know the path to the file to substitute, and if you cannot figure this out from the package you can add Octopus.Action.Azure.LogExtractedCspkg as a variable with a value of True to your project. Then create a new release. This will log the paths that are extracted, so we can figure out where the config file is. Or you can use wildcards if you have a rough idea when defining the file.

Hope this helps!
Vanessa