Azure Resource Manager Error when using Key Vault

We use Octopus to deploy Azure Resource Manager templates, this has all been working fine. Recently we have updated our templates to use Azure Key Vault for storing protected variables, as per this update from the Azure team - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/blog/keyvault-support-for-arm-templates/

This works when deploying with Visual Studio, but not when using Octopus, this complains about the parameters that use the vault being null. I have updated Octopus to 3.3.6 and have installed the latest Azure PowerShell cmdlets and configured Octopus to use them.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you send your Octopus log over. I’d like to ask around in the team and test this on my end.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the delay here. When you first mentioned that the “Key Vault” was usable from ARM templates, I didn’t even know it was possible. And now I know why: It was introduced in the Azure SDK that was released 8 days ago!

So yeah, at the current version of Octopus we don’t support it. But its definitely something that we’ll look into supporting when we update the Azure binaries we use in Octopus, which might happen rather sooner than later.

In the meantime, I’ve added a uservoice suggestion so the community can add votes to it to let us know they want this.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Hi, I just wanted to check in and see if there there was any update on when we might see this working in Octopus? Our ARM scripts all use key vault at the moment, and we want to move them into Octopus so it would be good to know if this is likely to be coming soon, or if it’s going to be a while and it’s worth my time update the scripts to not use key vault.

Hi Sam,

Sorry it looks like we were wrong earlier on this one. If you were to use a more updated version of the Azure PowerShell module then this should work. Below is a link on how to use the most recent Azure PowerShell modules. http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Configuring+the+version+of+the+Azure+PowerShell+modules

Let me know how you get on with this.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Can you confirm whether you have been successful in doing this? I have just tested this and get the same error.

Hi Sam,

After further investigation it seems this will require a change on our side to support these Key Vault parameters.

I have created an issue which you can follow. We’ll get this implemented as soon as we can.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
Michael