Azure Devops Issue Tracker extension 500 error

Hello, I am encountering a looping logins issue with Azure Devops Issue Tracker extension.
Build agent reports the following error in the Create Octopus Release step:
Azure DevOps: Error while fetching work item references from Azure DevOps: 500 (InternalServerError). “Unable to complete authentication for user due to looping logins”
Verified scope access is set on the personal access token and testing the configuration via the Octopus Settings page shows a success message.

Hi @enelson,
Thanks for joining our support forum, and welcome to the community!

I’m sorry you’ve been having issues with the ADO tracker. I have just a few questions if that is alright.

• What version of Octopus are you using?
  • Can you tell me if this issue is happening with just one project or with all build projects?
  • Can you post a screenshot of the configuration settings in Octopus for the tracker?

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Brent

Hi @brent_kinney
Thank you for the quick response.

• What version of Octopus are you using?

• Can you tell me if this issue is happening with just one project or with all build projects?
    All build projects are experiencing this issue.

• Can you post a screenshot of the configuration settings in Octopus for the tracker?

I have disabled this feature in the meantime as this issue was blocking our deployments.

Here is the test of the Personal Access Token:

Regards,
Evan

Hey @enelson,
Thanks for sending that info over. Would you be able to provide the full stack trace error from the build output?
Could you also send a copy of your Octopus server log? Log files - Octopus Deploy

Lastly, can you ensure the token you are using for the Tracker connection has full permissions over the project builds? Perhaps, the account can log in so your test is successful but doesn’t have the ability to pull the related build info and is failing.

Regards,
Brent

Here is the recent log of Octopus Server let me know if there is a more specific one you need.
recent-logs.txt (55.3 KB)

Here is the Create Octopus Release step log from the build agent.
createreleaselog.txt (7.0 KB)

Here is a screenshot showing the PAT has Build and Work Item read access.

When I manually execute a request against the Azure DevOps REST API authenticating with my PAT I am able to retrieve work items.

Regards,
Evan

Hi @enelson,

Just stepping in for Brent from the Australia based team.

Thanks for sending those logs through, confirming that we have received them and will let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Are you aware of any recent changes that coincide with when this issue started? Such as any recent upgrades or environment changes?

Could you please also confirm the version of the extension you are using in Azure Devops?

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Hi @enelson,

I’ve just noticed that the URL you’ve configured in Octopus is the legacy format, which I have seen cause issues before. Could you please try changing to the new format and seeing if the issue is resolved?

https://dev.azure.com/{organization} (new)
https://{organization}.visualstudio.com (legacy)

Best Regards,

Hi @finnian.dempsey ,

I can confirm the URL was the issue. I have updated to the new URL format and that fixed the issue. Thank you so much!

Regards,
Evan

1 Like

Hi @enelson,

That’s great you were able to get it working again!

Thanks for letting us know, hopefully this will help someone else in future.

Feel free to reach out again anytime.

Happy Deployments!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.