Azure Devops Copus CLI V6 why text inputs vs dropdown for project parameters?

This seems to be a breaking change, the latest version of OctoTFS that is the only version available in Azure Devops (Cloud) has changed the deploy/pack/etc parameters from selects that auto-populate with the project values to a text input.

This is now difficult to use because Octopus has its own internal names for the Project Group, Project Name, Project channel and event the Space. With the select inputs, it would give me a list of each of those.

What am I missing here? It is non-trivial to get those internal names for each devops pipeline that I need to create. This seems like a large step backwards in the usage of the integration with Devops.

Hey Nate,

Thanks for reaching out.

I’m seeing the same on my side in Task version 6.

I’m going to reach out to the developers and see if this was an intentional change and get back to you.

Please feel free to reach out in the meantime.

Best,
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for looking into this. Very much appreciated.

Best,
Nate

1 Like

Hey Nate,

You’re very welcome!

I heard back from the developers, and it is an intentional change. New in Azure DevOps for Octopus Deploy v6 - Octopus Deploy

You shouldn’t need to use IDs though, just names of things to fill in those boxes.

I understand this isn’t ideal for you. Did the old task versions disappear from the drop-down of the task version selector at the top of the step? In my cloud Azure Devops instance, I can still select old versions. You may also be able to select v5 with yaml, but I am unable to test this as I still have versions 3-6 in my drop-down selector.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

The old task version is gone, the only way for me to use the older versions is to manually type the yaml into the pipeline. But this still requires looking up the names. I have no drop down selector for previous versions (see below)

This is very much less than ideal. I’ve got 35ish pipelines running through octopus right now, was planning on doubling that in the next couple months and it adds a nice little copy/paste failure point in maintaining these pipelines.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Nate

Hey Nate,

I totally agree with that. Let me pass this back and see if there’s any way we can force ADO to supply you the older version of tasks.

Best,
Jeremy

Hey Nate,

I’ve spoken with the devs again, and unfortunately, it looks like there is no way to get those dropdowns back with that version of the task as your only available version. I’ve submitted your feedback as I do tend to agree, the dropdowns are a better user experience, but I can’t guarantee if and when those will come back.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.