We’ve been using Octopus deploy with our Azure web apps for some time now without error but recently (without change to Azure) one web deploy is constantly failing. The failure is on a locked file that (almost always) fails on ‘msvcr100.dll’ and (sometimes) on ‘Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.CSharp.dll’
This is a web app that uses the Deploy an Azure Web App step. I’ve got it set to enable the AppOffline feature and remove additional files that are not part of the deployment (I’ve tried this option both checked and unchecked with the same results). Otherwise the step is pretty basic. The frustrating part is we have two different web projects deploying from this solution, one for an API and the other for the public website. It’s the API deploy that constantly fails while the website constantly succeeds.
There was some discussion about using PowerShell to customize the deploy and shutting down the website before deploy, but that’s awkward because a) it means I couldn’t use the out-of-the-box Azure deploy and not script the entire deployment which is a pain to maintain new scripts and b) we would rather try to keep the website up as much as possible during deployments. It’s not high usage but I’m not fond of presenting a 500 error to users or consumers of the API. There’s swapping deploy slots of the website (that would probably solve this) but these are additional steps that we haven’t needed before and I’m hesitant to change the processes and services we use to try to solve this (since it’s only started recently).
Looking for some good ideas to solve this in as much of a friction free solution or peoples experience with this.