Azure App Service deployments suddenly failing

Let me start by noting that I’m running an out of date version of Octopus (3.17.14) and I fully realize that the only solution might be upgrading, but I need to exhaust all of my options.

All of my Azure App Service deployments using the built-in Deploy Azure Web App step started failing out of the blue. There were no changes made to Octopus or anything in Azure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially because dealing with an upgrade like this right before Christmas vacation is the last thing I want to do. Here is the error:

Deploying to Azure WebApp 'website(slot)' in Resource Group XXX, using subscription-id 'XXX'
Authentication Context: https://login.windows.net/XXX
Could not find Azure WebSite 'website(slot)' in subscription 'XXX'
Running rollback conventions...
Could not find Azure WebSite 'website(slot)' in subscription 'XXX'
The remote script failed with exit code 1
   at Octopus.Worker.Scripting.ScriptResult.EnsureSuccessful()
   at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Azure.AzureActionHandlerBase.Execute(ActionCommand command, Machine machine)
   at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentTaskController.<>c__DisplayClass29_0.<ExecuteActionAndInitLoggingContext>b__0()
   at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentTaskController.ExecuteWithTransientErrorDetection(Action action, Machine machine)
   at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentTaskController.ExecuteActionAndInitLoggingContext(PlannedStep step, Machine machine, PlannedAction action)

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, Azure made a change toward the beginning of the month that is causing an issue with Azure Slots when using older versions.

I’m sorry to say that the only options currently are to not use slots, or to upgrade to latest. We are in the process of creating an informational GitHub issue, but it likely will not have much more information than what I’ve given you.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I was afraid of that. Would you happen to know the oldest version of Octopus Deploy that will work now? That way I could do the minimal amount of upgrade work to get back up and running, and then get fully up to date in the new year.

Hi Jeremy,

Some colleagues did some testing and they found that 2018.10.9 should make the azure slots start working again.

Here is our documentation on upgrading: https://octopus.com/docs/administration/upgrading https://octopus.com/docs/administration/upgrading/guide/upgrading-from-octopus-3.x-to-modern https://octopus.com/docs/administration/upgrading/guide/upgrading-major-releases

Please look those over and let me know if you think you’re good to go or if you have any questions. Also please let me know when you’ve upgraded and your slots are working again.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I am up and running on 2018.10.9 and slots are working again!

I have to commend you and your colleagues for how amazingly painless the upgrade was. The only issue I ran into was that some bindings got mangled in the Azure deployment steps, but that was simple to resolve. I was expecting hours of pain and suffering, but I got the exact opposite.

Thank you so much for your assistance and for an incredible product!

1 Like

You’re very welcome! I’ve passed along your kind words to our developers.

Thanks for letting me know you’re in a good state again.

Please let us know if you need any help in the future.

I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,
Jeremy

Hi,

We are also having this issue. What was the change that Azure made toward the beginning of the month that broke this? Do you have a link or something official?

Many thanks

Will

Hi Will,

Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to find an official release note that points to a change that might have deprecated the functionality. We do however update our libraries regularly and the older versions of octopus with older libraries stopped functioning so we could only conclude that they made a change that deprecated functionality in the older included libraries.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.