Automatically deploying a release

I have just gotten the basics of automatic release creation, which kicks off when my build finishes and a package has been updated

However, they then just sit in the “release” window with a “Deploy” button that has to be manually pressed to get it into my staging environment.

Is there any way I can have it automatically deploy my newly created release straight onto my first environment?

1 Like

This setting is defined by the lifecycle of the build. You can manage lifecycles in the Library.

When you add an environment to a lifecycle, you get this option:
Deploy automatically to this environment as soon as the release enters this phase.

1 Like

Hi Rich,

Thanks for getting in touch. What Paul said is correct. You need to set an environment as “Deploy automatically to this environment as soon as the release enters this phase” in the first phase of your lifecycle. See attached screenshot for a visual reference.

When you create a release (using Automatic Release Creation), it will reach its first phase, and it will automatically deploy to that environment.

Thanks,

Dalmiro

Is it also possible to add another constraint to the automatic deploy such that it will not automatically deploy after a certain time. For example, we have a build that takes an unpredictable amount of time, we would like for it to be automatically deployed to some machines only if the build finishes before a certain time.

Hi Colin,

I’m afraid that kind of conditional setting is not possible at the moment. What you could do is, instead of using the Lifecycle’s automatic deployment feature, rely on your build server to follow that logic you just described and have it trigger the release/deploy if the build finishes before a certain time.

If you need help triggering a deployment from your build server, let me know which one you are using and i’ll point you to the right docs.

Thanks,
Dalmiro