Automatic release creation stopped working

Hi,

I have a setup where I push nuget packages directly from Visual Studio in a special configuration called deploy. I do this using Octopack. There are about 8-10 packages.

When the last package arrives at Octopus it creates a release automatically using Automatic Release Creation.

This has been running smoothly for about a year. 2 days ago I added a new Package and removed the first step in the deployment process. Suddenly the Automatic Release Creation stopped working.

The Packages still arrive at the Octopus Nuget feed. And It is still the arrival of the same package I use to start the Automatic Release Creation. I have also confirmed that it is still the last package arriving.

Furthermore I have tried to create the release manually which I can do with no problems.

What could be the problem ?

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for getting in touch! It looks like we are going to need to grab some more information so we can get to the bottom of this one. Could I get you to trigger a build/push then collect some logging/information to send us?

Could you also attach your Octopus server logs, there could also be an issue on the Octopus side of things.
Along side the server logs, it would really help us to have a full screen shot of your projects process page.

Something else you could also check out if you have not done so yet is our ARC documentation, it has a section on troubleshooting down the bottom that may be very helpful.
http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Automatic+Release+Creation

Looking forward to hearing from you and getting to the bottom of this.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I noticed that I have accidentally created the support case with my private email. This is actually an issue I have on my work place where I use the email I am sending from now.

I will try to gather the logs you request and get back to you.

Regards Jesper

Hi,

OK. The link you sent gave me a clue

In Configuration -> diagnostics there is the following Line:

Unable to automatically create a release for project ‘UVLogin’ when package UVLogin.UI.Website version 3.7.0.34 was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package #{TopshelfNugetPakkeId}

The extra step I added in the process uses a custom step template that uses a variable #{TopShelfNugetPakkeId} for the package name.

You probably do not resolve variables in the release creation step, and thus it fails.

I guess the workaround must be to not use the custom step template. And instead hardcode the step ?!

Regards Jesper

I have replied to you by email (but from another email address) apparently it is not shown here ? Should I post here directly instead ?

Anyway - here it is:

The link you sent gave me a clue

In Configuration -> diagnostics there is the following Line:

Unable to automatically create a release for project ‘xxx’ when package xxx version 3.7.0.34 was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package #{TopshelfNugetPakkeId}

The extra step I added in the process uses a custom step template that uses a variable #{TopShelfNugetPakkeId} for the package name.

You probably do not resolve variables in the release creation step, and thus it fails.

I guess the workaround must be to not use the custom step template. And instead hardcode the step ?!

Hi Jesper,

Yes unfortunately the answer is that step templates cannot be used with ARC due to it being an underlying variable. There are small workarounds like having a different step as a trigger with a small package that gets created and pushed after your main package. Otherwise you need a step without a variable in the package name.

Sorry for the bad news!
Vanessa

OK, Thank you. I have created a step with a hard coded package name - and it works.

Hi Jesper,

I’m glad to hear that you have it working now!
Please don’t hesitate to get back in touch if you run into any issues or have any further questions.

Regards,
Daniel