Automatic Release Creation not working

Howdy!

I had previously setup Automatic Release creation paired with a lifecycle to automatically build in deploy websites. This worked perfectly pre-3.0 upgrade and even, as far as I am aware, for the 3.0 pre releases. Now, though, pushing packages to the builtin feed doesn’t appear to do anything.

Pictures!

Package was pushed successfully:

Package shows up in create release:

Setting was enabled:

But it didn’t auto create the release and still shows the previous release:

Richard,

Can you confirm which version of 3.0.x you are using. We did have one issue with migrated projects (including deprecated Ftp/Azure steps) that could cause this to happen but it has since been fixed.

Also, can you look in the server logs around this deployment and post the relevant section (or if it contains sensitive information, please send it to support@octopusdeploy.com).

Ian

I’m currently using 3.0.8. And I did in fact find an issue:

2015-08-03 12:14:54.7099    238  WARN  Unable to automatically create a release for project '████████' when package FPS.████████ version 1.2.0-unstable0010 was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package FPS.████████

Was this resolved in the 3.0.8 -> 3.0.9 and/or is there an obvious fix?

Hmm. I guess my other reply didn’t go through. I was running 3.0.8.

Here’s the exact log message (minus product name):

2015-08-03 11:49:19.4001    350  WARN  Unable to automatically create a release for project '*****' when package FPS.***** version 1.2.0-unstable0009 was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package FPS.******.Service

The project deploys two packages. ***** and *****.Service. I’m about 100% certain that Service is pushed before the base package.

Reproduced in 3.0.9 too:

2015-08-03 16:58:45.4799    113  WARN  Unable to automatically create a release for project '*****' when package FPS.***** version 1.2.0-unstable0011 was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package FPS.*****.Service

Edit: I should note that pushing two NuPkgs is a recent change. It was not configured to push two (only one) in the 2.X builds.

Hi Richard,

If you use pre-release tags on your packages such as (-unstable0009) then the Automatic release creation will only recognize the triggering package, it will look for stable packages for all other packages as part of the release. It is designed to assume that you would only want stable versions of packages. So if your second package doesn’t have a non-prerelease version package, it will cause this situation.
When branching is finished you will be able to mark them as branches and it will pick up the packages, but for anything before 3.2 comes out with this feature, you cannot use pre-release version tagging for secondary packages.

Sorry that this isn’t the news you are expecting.
Vanessa

I sadly figured it might be something along those lines. Would love to see greater support for pre-release, as all our projects use SemVer paired with GitVersion, and pushing with pre-release tags is very common. Looking forward to future versions! For now I’ll just great the project out into two.