Automatic release creation not picking up variables when generating version number from template

Hi there,
We are running Octopus 3.0.17
In the settings of my deployment project I have selected to 'Generate version numbers using a template’
My template looks like this:
#{ReleaseVersionValue}.i-CI
Where ReleaseVersionValue is an unscoped variable in my project…

If I manually create a release, the version number is picked up and we end up with eg 15.9.0 or 15.9.1, which is what I would expect.
However, when the deployment project was automatically created it did not pick up the variable and the project name looks like this: #{ReleaseVersionValue}.i-CI
For some reason the version number and the increment number were left as strings.
Do you know why?

I just reset the template to use #{Octopus.Version.LastMajor}.#{Octopus.Version.LastMinor}.#{Octopus.Version.NextPatch}
and the automatic release creation picked this up correctly. Still not sure why it could not pick up my variable, I will try it again

unfortunatly no joy, when i use this:
#{ReleaseVersionValue}.#{Octopus.Version.NextPatch}, I ended up with
#{ReleaseVersionValue}.23.

So it seems the automatic release creation is picking up the Octopus variables, but not my local one?
Yet if I click the button to create a release the system does pick up the releaseversionvalue.

Hi Myles,

I have tried what you describe and get the same result: project variables don’t get evaluated when a release is automatically created.

I’ve created a ticket to get this resolved: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2017

Cheers,
Shane

From: Shane Gill [mailto:tender2+d4dc6d50dd@tenderapp.com]
Sent: 22 September 2015 11:12 a.m.
To: Myles Arkell
Subject: Re: Automatic release creation not picking up variables when generating version number from template [Problems #39208]

Thanks Shane

Hi Shane,
Can you tell how far away the fix for this might be?
Myles

Hi Myles,

We have a lot of bugs in the backlog so I can’t give you a firm timeline. When we do fix them, they are generally released same day.

Cheers,
Shane