Automatic Release Creation fails if automatically generated release number is in use

At the time, my latest release number was 0.14.110. I needed to patch an earlier release so I created 0.14.93-beta which had all of the package version from 0.14.93 plus my change to the deployment process. (side note: when creating releases it would be nice to have an option to select all of the package versions from an earlier release).
At this point the automatic release creation stopped working.
The diagnostics log contains this error:
Caught exception while receiving: Octopus.Server.Communications.Packages.PackagePushedEvent
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException: Self referencing loop detected for property ‘Identity’ with type ‘Octopus.Platform.Web.Security.OctopusPrincipal’. Path ‘Body.User’.

When I tried to manually create a release, the default release number was 0.14.94 which had already been used. I changed this to 0.14.111 and created the release. Now the automatic release creation is working again.

It would be nice if the default release number was incremented from the highest numbered release, not the last release.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the delay. I was able to reproduce this error and I’ve submitted a github issue for hit. Here is the link in case you want to follow it up.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We’ll try to get to the end of this issue as soon as possible!

Dalmiro

I am getting a similar error, but I am quite sure that the release does not already exist with this number.

015-05-19 17:41:00.0098     74 ERROR  Caught exception while receiving: Octopus.Server.Communications.Packages.PackagePushedEvent
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException: Self referencing loop detected for property 'Identity' with type 'Octopus.Platform.Web.Security.OctopusPrincipal'. Path 'Body.User'.
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.CheckForCircularReference(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonProperty property, JsonContract contract, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.CalculatePropertyValues(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonContainerContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonProperty property, JsonContract& memberContract, Object& memberValue)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeObject(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeObject(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.Serialize(JsonWriter jsonWriter, Object value, Type objectType)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.SerializeInternal(JsonWriter jsonWriter, Object value, Type objectType)
   at Pipefish.Util.Json.Serialize(Object o) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish\Util\Json.cs:line 36
   at Pipefish.Actor.<OnReceivingAsync>d__0.MoveNext() in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish\Actor.cs:line 75

The new package coming in was version 6.0.0.0-dev20150519-3 and the last release generated was version 6.0.0.0-dev20150519-1. Is this not considered a new version?

Hi,

What version of Octopus are you using? On 2.6.5 we released some fixes around Automatic Release Creation that addressed issues like this.

If you are not on this version, please try to update and let us know if that fixed the issue.

Thanks

Dalmiro

We’re currently on 2.6.3.886. I’ll update.