AutoDeployment Issues

Hi There,

We’ve been using Octopus for a while to deploy the majority of our .Net code through our Dev > Test > Production environments. We’re using version 3.4.4 currently (plan to upgrade to 3.6 in the new year). we’ve taking advantage of the lifecycles to roll gate deployments through our environments and this is working really well.

I’d like to make deployments slightly more autonomous and to start using Auto-Deployments but I’m struggling to get this working. We normally use a TFS server to publish into the built-in NuGet repository, but I’m testing using Octo.exe to just get the files in, this bit is working fine. I also have the automatic release creation working as soon as a build is published, but my trigger for automatic deployment doesn’t ever fire.

The Deployment trigger is set to use both available events, it currently only targets my testing environment (which is at stage 1 in the only lifecycle attached to the project) and is bound to the project role. I’ve tried disabling the deployment target, removing and re-adding the role.

Is anyone able to shed any light? Thanks in advance!

Hi James,

Thanks for getting in touch! It sounds like the Deploy automatically to this environment as soon as the release enters this phase option may not selected in the first phase of your Lifecycle.

When you set up your automatic deployment, you need to set the Phases of your Lifecycle to Deploy automatically. So as soon as the release is created the deployment will trigger each next phase. Once the first deployment is triggered, the others will all follow so long as they all have the option enabled.

So when you are adding environments to your Lifecycle phase, they must have this option selected for the deployment to trigger. I have attached a screenshot from my server.

Let me know if that helps. If you still have any issues, let me know. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this, this was the missing step. Now automatically deploying perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

James.

Hi James,

No worries at all! We are always happy to help!

Best regards,
Daniel